Contacting the Helpline by freephone
You can contact our Speak Up team on Freephone 1800 844 866
Bear in mind when calling:
- Our office hours are 10.00 to 18.00, Monday to Friday
- We are closed on public holidays
- You can choose to leave a voicemail message if we are unable to answer when you call. A call back from the service team members will appear on your phone without caller ID.
- No telephone conversation can be encrypted or guaranteed to be 100% fully secure
- You do not have to give us your name or contact details
(however we will need some contact details if we are to follow up on your initial call)
- Any details you provide will be treated in strict confidence
When you call us, you will be provided with detailed guidelines. In particular, you will be asked not to identify any person, place, product, workplace or organisation related to your concern. General information is enough. This is to avoid compromising yourself or our organisation and in order to comply with our legal obligations.
Contacting the Helpline by email
If you prefer, you can contact us online by filling out our secure online form above. If this is your first contact with the service and you want us to get back in touch with you, please provide us with contact details. Please provide us with your first name only (or a pseudonym) if possible and please do not identify any person, place, product, workplace or organisation related to your concern. General information is enough. Please do not send us any documentation in the first instance. If needed, we will ask you to provide us with copies in due course.
Whether you contact us by phone or email, we would suggest taking the following precautions if you are concerned about being traced:
- Think carefully about the information you give us. Provide your first name only (or a pseudonym) and do not identify any person, place, product, workplace or organisation related to your concern.
- Make sure that the computer you use to send us emails is free of malware and spyware - particularly keystroke logging malware. Update and upgrade your antivirus protection software
- Consider using our secure Hushform to contact the helpline. Emails sent using this form are encrypted end-to-end. Please note that subsequent emails sent from email accounts without PGP encryption activated may not be encrypted. If you would like to ensure that your correspondence with the helpline is secure, then we would recommend that you set up your own hushmail account before contacting the helpline. You can set up a free hushmail email account here . Address your hushmail emails to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call from your office or home landline. Also avoid calling from a bill-pay phone – a pay as you go mobile is best
- Tell anyone else that you are considering reporting a concern, unless a legal professional advises you that it is safe to do so
- Use a government or work computer to contact the Speak Up helpline – many employers reserve the right to monitor employees’ internet use, and this may identify you inadvertently
- Use public computers to contact the helpline, as they could be infected by dangerous malware or spyware
- Use unsecured public Wi-Fi when attempting to contact the helpline, as this may be compromised
- Make a copy of your correspondence with us on your home or work computer